A Full Guide on FUE Hair Transplants
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is a non-invasive method of hair transplantation that has a quick recovery rate and will give you the hair results that you desire. The FUE hair transplant is a permanent method of hair transplantation and is a great way to recover from hair loss.
Table of Contents
A Better Understanding About What FUE is & What it Entails
This procedure is considered a safe and relatively quick hair transplant method. The follicular unit extraction or FUE hair transplant process involves taking hair from an area on your body where there is hair growth, and where the follicles are healthy and strong, and implanting them to the area of the body where the hair is desired.
The grafts are individually moved from one part of the body to a different part of the body, such as the scalp. This method of hair transplantation is safe, quick, relatively pain-free and considered non-invasive. There are two different FUE hair transplantation methods:
- Standard FUE Hair Transplantation
- Sapphire FUE Hair Transplantation
Below is more information about each.
Standard FUE Hair Transplantation
In this method of FUE hair transplantation, the hair is moved follicle by follicle. Overtime, your newly transplanted hair will become thicker and denser with the new follicles that have been implanted via the FUE hair transplantation method.
This is a very popular method of hair transplantation as it is not obvious that the procedure was performed. It does not leave the “hair plug” look that makes it obvious that you have had a hair transplantation procedure done, and the scarring is barely noticeable. This method of hair transplantation is performed with a steel scalpel and has shown very favourable results across the globe.
Sapphire FUE Hair Transplantation
This method of FUE hair transplantation is a modern and aesthetically pleasing method of hair transplantation. The factors that apply to the standard FUE Hair transplantation method also apply to the sapphire FUE hair transplantation method; such as being non-invasive, safe, relatively pain-free and nearly scar-free.
There are two main differences between the two FUE methods, one of which is that the Sapphire FUE method used a sapphire blade while the standard procedure uses a scalpel, and the other being that the sapphire method offers the BEST RESULTS!
The sapphire blades are more robust and made from a single synthetic sapphire crystal from aluminium oxide. They are sharper and therefore also more precise. This allows for accurate incisions, rapid healing and recovery and a better overall FUE hair transplant experience. It also has a bonus advantage – should you be allergic to metals, the Sapphire blades give you the confidence to continue with the procedure safely.
The Ice FUE Method Option
The ICE approach has greatly increased the success rate of hair transplants. The hair is placed in transplanting containers after the surgeon has properly selected the hair and retrieved the follicles from time to time.
A very low temperature is maintained in the liquid in which the hair is immersed. This gives the grafts a life expectancy of more than 4-6 hours when they are outside the scalp. The therapy that the hair grafts get during the frozen FUE hair transplant greatly increases their chance of survival.
Until the time the hair follicles are transplanted into the recipient area, they will be kept in the transplanting containers, being given the best possible chance at survival. When the Ice FUE method is used in conjunction with the Ideal Sapphire FUE hair transplant method, it results in a higher chance of success and as well as more natural-looking hair.
FUE Before and After Images
How The FUE Hair Transplantation Will Work
More than half of men and women across the globe experience hair loss throughout their lifetimes. The cause of hair loss and growth cycle for each individual will differ. As you get older, so do your hair follicles, and hair regrowth is no longer as optimal as it once was. In some cases, the hair follicle will no longer allow any hair growth in certain areas of your body. This is mostly determined by your genetics which makes each case unique.
FUE Hair Transplants focus on restoring those follicles that no longer have any hair growth, with follicles that still have hair growth. After the implantation of the new follicles in the desired area, the blood vessels will provide nourishment to the new follicle that is producing the new hairs, and hair will begin to grow.
It may take some time after the procedure for the hair to start growing at a normal rate again. Recovery and healing will first need to take place and your hair growth cycle, which is unique to each person, will determine the exact time needed before hair growth continues as normal.
FUE Hair Transplantation: A Permanent Solution
We all have doubts when we are about to make an investment, but due to FUE hair transplantation being such a successful procedure with many different benefits, it is worth the investment. The FUE hair transplantation is a permanent solution to hair loss or balding as new and healthy follicles are introduced into the skin. Along with the success of the hair transplantation and the proper aftercare of the hair, you can experience lifelong hair transplant results.
Reasons to Choose the FUE Hair Transplant Method
When considering going for any procedure, it is important to know what you are getting from it and if it is worth it. This procedure is definitely worth it and there are an endless amount of reasons why, such as:
- The procedure is non-invasive and relatively pain-free
- The area from which the hair is taken looks almost completely unaffected and natural.
- Natural results where it looks like no FUE hair transplant took place
- There are virtually no scars from the procedure
- It is a quick process that might only need one procedure
- All your nerve bundles remain intact, therefore recovery is much faster
- Very little to no swelling can be observed
- Very little post-operational discomfort because there are no deep wounds
- The FUE hair transplant will start showing growth between 3 to 4 months
- The possibility of infection is greatly reduced due to the precision of this method of hair transplantation
- Success rate is high when done properly
Side Effects Involved When Going For an FUE Hair Transplantation
This procedure is ideal in so many different ways because it has so many pros and very few side effects, but it is still important to know what you may face after going for this procedure. The few side effects that can arise are:
- Infection: After any procedure, you risk infection, but it is preventable with proper aftercare
- Dry scalp: The area can feel dry for the first few weeks
- Swelling: There may be some swelling for about 2 or 3 days where the FUE hair transplantation was done
- Minor pain and/or discomfort: After the procedure, you might feel slight pain and discomfort but it shouldn’t last too long.
- Bumps where the transplant took place: Follicles might swell, feeling slightly bumpy to the touch.
- Numbness: Local anaesthetic is used to number your scalp, so some numbness around the surgery site will be completely normal.
- Hair loss: There will be hair loss during the recovery period known as shedding. This is anatomically normal for transplanted grafts, and shedding will happen only once. Thereafter, permanent regrowth will eventually start.
Many hair transplant clinics offer you their aftercare product range included in some of their packages to ensure a fast, safe and ideal recovery with the expected results showing as soon as possible.
What to Expect After Your FUE Hair Transplant
This method of hair transplantation is very popular around the world due to its high success rate and overall satisfaction that different individuals have experienced. This procedure is non-invasive, relatively pain-free and leaves little to no scarring, allowing the following:
- You can be an outpatient, meaning that you come in for the procedure and then you can go back home after it is completed. Procedures are between 6 to 8 hours long.
- It does not interfere with your daily life as you can return to normal soon after the procedure is completed.
- There is barely any scarring due to it being a non-invasive procedure, so it won’t be obvious that you have had the FUE hair transplantation.
- Natural hair growth will return soon after with minimal side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) takes an entire piece of the skin from the donor area and moves it to a new area. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) takes each follicle individually from the donor area and moves it to the desired area.
The Sapphire FUE hair transplantation method uses a sapphire blade that is sharper and more precise than the standard steel blade used during the standard FUE hair transplant procedure. Recovery is faster and aesthetic appearance is better with the Sapphire method.
Yes. The Sapphire FUE hair transplant procedure does not involve metals and will not cause any adverse reaction.
Both procedures are very similar to each other when it comes to the follicle extraction process. The DHI procedure requires a Choi Implanterin in order to insert the follicles into the troubled area. It is the preferred transplantation method when suffering from thinning hair.
- A Dua, K Dua – Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery (2010)
- Trivellini, R., Perez‐Meza, D., Renaud, H. J., & Gupta, A. K. (2021). Preview long hair follicular unit excision: An up‐and‐coming technique. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 20(11), 3422-3426.
- Civas, E., Aksoy, B., & Akpinar, U. (2022). Chronologic improvement in hair yield with follicular unit excision with changes in punch devices: A 10‐year experience of a single center. Dermatologic Therapy, 35(4), e15340.